Saturday, December 10, 2011

Nine Lessons and Carols

The floors were swept, wreaths were hung, cider was mulling, friends were arriving and the house was filled with the buzz of conversation and laughter. Parts were assigned and the candles were lit. So began the second annual Nine Lessons and Carols. We opened with a prayer and a musical rendition of The First Noel.



Last year, inspired by Lanier Ivester, a couple friends and I put together a program of Scripture readings and carols, poems and prayers, for our small group. A different sort of Christmas party. I love December parties, but it dawned on me that, in the midst of gifts, games, cookies and cider, the birth of Christ can get overshadowed, if not all together forgotten. So I gladly received the idea to plan and host an Advent celebration.

This year, couple friends joined me and my acoustic guitar: Seth on electric guitar and Darlene on violin. It is truly a joy to make music with friends, for friends. We worked on our own rendition of White Horse by Over the Rhine, one of my most favorite newer Christmas songs, as well as many well-known carols. This year, I included a couple storybooks: The Ballad of Matthew's Begats and The Song of the Stars. (Maybe next year we'll be able to play Matthew's Begats, although I rather enjoy the live version on the anniversary edition of Behold the Lamb of God...)

After the closing prayer, we enjoyed the cider, Christmas goodies and conversation. I hope to make this a yearly tradition at Cheery Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment