Tuesday, January 3, 2012

2012 Resolutions

This year, I resolve to be more loving. In his first letter to the Corinthians, Paul says, "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.  If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing." I can't generate love on my own; this kind of love only happens by relying on Christ in me.

I resolve to spend less time online and more time reading God's Word. I hope to observe media-free Sundays and cut back on other days as well. I've pondered the idea of closing my Facebook account. We'll see about that...

I resolve to be more intentional about creative pursuits. Whether it's playing guitar, painting a picture or writing, being creative is good for my soul. I would also like to work on guitar technique. Since my guitar teacher moved, I haven't been playing as much and definitely not working on exercises to improve my technique. My goal isn't to be great, just... better. I'd also like to play with other musicians more often. Playing and singing alone just isn't as much fun.

I resolve to read more. My shelves are full of books I have yet to read. A good friend who's a novelist said that she thought that was a mark of a true reader. I'd say it's at least a mark of a book lover... For years I've been wanting to read The Lord of the Rings. Will this be the year I finally commit to it? Time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment