Tuesday, January 3, 2012

January 3, 2012

As I walked to the end of my driveway to retrieve my garbage can I heard something.  Church bells were chiming "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear." This was the first I've heard Christmas music resonating through the neighborhood. Have I just not been paying attention? I paused in the middle of the driveway, under a star-sprinkled sky, to listen. The next song was "O Come All Ye Faithful," followed by "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen." Thank you, bells, for urging me to slow down. Moonlight spilled over the snowy ground. I looked up to see a beautiful lunar halo and Cassiopeia sitting nearby. I love the night sky: a showcase for God's glory.

When I came inside, I felt lighter, like a burden had been lifted. I'm a little embarrassed that all it took was a leisurely walk to the end of my driveway to get the garbage can. Sure, it's been cold, but that's no excuse for not spending time outdoors. (That's what down coats and long underwear are for!) I must make an effort to be outside, even if it's just a walk around the neighborhood. (I secretly hope it'll snow enough for me to dust off my snowshoes, although I will definitely stay off frozen rivers this year!)

No comments:

Post a Comment